Skincare was more luxurious and indulgent in the olden days, but it was not about using too many ingredients but minimal ingredients with potent effects. At Brahmi, this is our concept as well. Let’s explore how you can start a new, healthy skincare lifestyle.
Why Ayurvedic Skincare Is The Best
Three reasons why Ayurvedic skincare is a great way to rejuvenate your skin.
- It is tailored to your skin type
There is no one size fits all. Ayurvedic treatments take a look at the dosha or constitution of your body as well as your mental state to prescribe the right treatment for your skin. It is a holistic treatment that guarantees long term results.
- Uses organic ingredients
No toxic chemicals are used. Authentic Ayurvedic products use herbs and plant extracts, specifically handpicked by experts and blended together to make a powerful mixture.
- It’s about treating the root cause
Sometimes, ayurvedic treatment can take time to show results compare to other products you may be using. This is because Ayurveda tends to start treatment addressing from where the problem began and then works its way to complete recovery. This means it completely eliminate the skin issue and prevents it from recurring.
How To Choose Ayurvedic Skincare Products
If you want to shop for an Ayurvedic product online, how do you go about it? We recommend that you consult the store, get to know your skin type, and choose the specific products that match your dosha as well as help relieve your skin issues. You can learn about your skin type from Ayurveda Doshas.
It all starts with knowing your doshas. Doshas are the life energies that run our bodies. There are three doshas- Vata, Pitta and Kapha, which forms the basis of selecting your specific skincare treatment.
Skincare routine for Vata Dosha
Those with the Vata dosha tend to have dry, flaky skin. The skin retains less moisture and is prone to rashes and stretch marks.
So for Vata dosha, moisturising and keeping your skin hydrated is of utmost importance.
- Cleanse: It is essential that you use a gentle cleanser that doesn’t strip your skin of all oils. Your cleanser should have soothing elements like rose flower extract and holy basil to gently clean your skin.
- Exfoliate As for exfoliation, it should be very gentle and not too frequent, as it can damage the thin skin. Walnut Shell Powder is an excellent exfoliant. When combined with Brahmi Herb Extract and Ashwagandha Leaf Extract in our Gentle exfoliant for dry skin makes for a therapeutic experience.
- Moisturise: Brahmi’s Nourishing moisturiser for dry skin contains rich nourishing elements including glycerin, almond oil and cocoa butter that help lock in moisture for the whole day.
Skincare routine for Pitta Dosha
Sensitive or combination skin falls under the Pitta dosha category. This skin type is easily irritated (if you have experienced skin reactions to a lot of products before, you probably belong to this group). Your skin can react aggressively to environmental stresses(sun, heat, dust) and bodily changes as well, in the form of rashes or acne. Pitta skin needs a soothing and cooling experience for the skin to revive.
- Cleanse: Clean up your skin thoroughly with a good facial cleanser before starting your beauty routine.
- Exfoliate: It is essential to use light exfoliants on pitta skin type as they may aggravate rashes or acne already on the face. Make sure to never rub too harsh on your problem areas.
Brahmi’s best selling Gentle exfoliant is a great scrub for sensitive skin. It is enriched with Neem and vetiver extracts to relax and cleanse the skin.
- Moisturise: If you are of the pitta type, your skin will love the pampering of Jasminum Grandiflorum (Jasmine) Flower Extract. Sandalwood is also an excellent additive to make part of your skincare routine. You can find this great combination in Brahmi’s Nourishing moisturiser for sensitive/combination skin. Do pamper your skin with cooling face packs of cucumber or watermelon or even leave your moisturiser in the fridge for a couple of hours before using it for an added indulgence!
Skincare routine for Kapha Dosha
Kapha or Oily skin. We love it yet we hate it. Oily skin is dewy most of the time, which is great for anti-ageing in the long run. But it can also be problematic with acne and blackheads constantly making an appearance.
- Cleanse: For the Kapha skin type, it is essential to use a more potent cleanser but make sure you don’t dry out your skin completely. Drying out the skin only signals the body to create more oils, which leaves your skin more greasy as you go about the day. Vetiver and apricot are excellent ingredients to balance dry skin. You can find this combination in Brahmi’s Cleanser for oily skin.
- Exfoliate: You can happily exfoliate your skin every day with a good exfoliant to remove all dirt and oil settling on your skin throughout the day.
- Moisturise: Don’t forget to apply the final step. Even though you have oily skin, you need to use a light moisturizer like our nourishing moisturizer with Papaya extract and Mulethi Oil for glowing skin.