One of the most searched queries in the Ayurvedic genre is “What are Ashwagandha benefits for skin?”.
It’s really been driving trends today and skincare brands have been playing around with this root that features extensively in mythology and of course Ayurvedic texts.
“From collagen boosting goodness for tight and younger looking skin to anti-inflammatory properties which make it a powerful ingredient against acne, there’s a lot that ashwagandha packs.”
So what is it and how does it help your skin? And which are the best products with ashwagandha that you should be using?
Here’s the answer.
What is Ashwagandha? And what’s this hype all about?
Ashwagandha, also known on the back of cosmetic labels as “Withania somnifera” or Indian ginseng, is a medicinal plant whose root is a major active in Ayurvedic medicine.
Looks very similar to adhrak, the word Ashwagandha comes from two words. “Ashwa” or horse and “gandha” meaning smell as its aroma is strikingly similar to the scent of a horse.
One of the most touted benefits of this herb is the hormone balancing function as well as anti-inflammatory property. Both make it a sure-fire ingredient for healing acne-prone skin.
How does ashwagandha help your skin?
The benefits of ashwagandha are many:
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects:
- From helping heal pimple scars and eczema to reducing their appearance, ashwagandha’s antiinflammatory properties are famous.
- Anti-Aging Properties:
- Skin damage is driven by oxidative stress of the body. It is important to have anti-oxidant ingredients in your diet as well as skin care for the overall well being and to maintain youthful skin. Ashawagandha is one of the best sources of antioxidants.
- Balances Hormones:
Pimples, hyperpigmentation and skin texture may be caused by hormonal issues especially related to PCOS and menopause. Ashwagandha helps regulate your hormones and ensures a healthier body and skin.
- Supports Restful Sleep:
We’ve all heard that 8 hours of beauty sleep is the best medicine for most skin issues, and it’s true. Ashwagandha calms nerves and helps you relax into a restful state easier.
- Adaptogenic benefits:
It means ashwagandha can help regulate stress and anxiety. This helps improve mood and sets the tone for good skin health.
Best ashwagandha product for acne-prone skin
Due to its amazing set of skin-friendly properties, it is featured in most of our skincare products. Here are the top skin care must-haves for each skin type based on your dosha.
For vata skin- Ashwagandha leaf extract helps hydrate skin and reduce signs of aging
The most popular product from our range and the most innovative of all is the Vata Dry skin Face oil.
Providing intense hydration and skin protection all day long, our Face oil contains the goodness of Rose Flower Extract, Turmeric Root Oil, Holy Basil Leaf Extract, Brahmi Herb Extract, and Ashwagandha leaf extract.
Vata dry skin cleanser with rose and tulsi:
As we always reiterate, for dry skin, it is important that you only use a very gentle cleanser to clean your face. Our Rose and Tulsi cleanser is fortified with Ashwagandha Leaf Extract, Aloe vera extract, and turmeric root oil to give you flawless glowing skin with each wash.
Top combination/ sensitive skin products- Ashwagandha here helps regulate skin oils
The Pitta cleanser:
Sensitive skin’s best bet for a cleanser is an Ayurvedic one. Here we have our very own, neem & green tea cleanser especially formulated for the pitta skin type.
This cleanser gently de-clogs pores, removes grime and nourishes skin with its potent ingredients. These include Saffron Extract, Brahmi Leaf Extract, Mulethi) Oil and (Ashwagandha) Root Extract.
Kapha skin type-Ashwagandha helps prevent pimples & reduce acne scars
Kapha Oily cleanser (vetiver and apricot):
It is only natural that ashwagandha features in our kapha cleanser with vetiver and apricot. Ashwagandha becomes an irreplaceable beauty ingredient to soothe skin, regulate hormones and therefore reduce the occurrence of acne and blemishes. This formula also features cleansing and relaxing ingredients like Aloe vera extract, Brahmi Leaf Extract, Liquorice root oil and Carrot extracts.
How long does Ashwagandha take to work?
As in all Ayurvedic ingredients, it’s a gradual yet significant skin improvement that you can expect with ashwagandha actives. It’s an all-rounder ingredient that cleanses, nourishes and soothes skin, all in one go. Therefore, the results can be expected in a month’s time.
Does ashwagandha cause acne?
Ashwagandha is a powerful ingredient that help reduce the appearance and blemishes related to the same. On the same lines, if you have sensitive skin, we recommend you always do a patch test behind your ear before using any product.
How to patch test:
- Take a tiny amount of product on your fingers.
- Apply it on the skin right behind your ear.
- Leave on for 2 hours and watch for irritations, rashes or discoloration.
- Wait 24 hours before you make the skincare product a part of your routine to catch any skin reactions. FAQS
- Is Ashwagandha good for skin?
- Ashwagandha is an elixir of good health for skin and hair. Its anti-inflammatory properties helps soothe itching, nourish skin and restore the hormone imbalances. Does ashwagandha make skin glow?
- By soothing and hydrating skin from within, ashwagandha enhances the beauty of the skin. This ingredient is also a stimulant to the production of hyaluronan, which retains hydration on the skin giving it a beautiful glow. How to use ashwagandha for glowing skin?
- The best way to use ashwagandha is to choose organic skincare products like Brahmi’s range for vata, pitta and kapha skin type. You can also use face masks with crushed ashwagandha and rose water to hydrate and nourish skin. Does ashwagandha make you look younger?
- It is the antioxidant properties of ashwagandha that make it a youth enhancer. Combined with antibacterial and soothing properties, it become the ultimate skincare active for youthful skin.
Is it OK to take ashwagandha everyday?
Yes. Ashwagandha based products can be used every day for flawless skin. If you are using powdered natural ashwagandha, it is always recommended to patch test before using it.
How to apply ashwagandha on face?
You can always use ashwagandha-based organic products for your skincare. Make sure to choose each of them according to your Ayurvedic dosha.
If you want to do a DIY face pack, mix 2 teaspoons of ashwagandha with sandalwood powder. Make a mixture with ghee, water or rose water. Apply a thin layer on the face. Let it dry completely. Wash off with cool water.